A little about me..

Books are my first love, followed by music , movies and travelling. Also like to dabble in cooking and kid's activities. I am here to share what amuses me...

Monday, January 23, 2012

Kid friendly recipes

I have a  22 month old  pesky eater, for whom I am constantly in search of kid friendly recipes and stories to keep her attention off the food. In this post I'll share some recipes that worked for us,which may help some worried mom out there. I introduced her to solids at 7 months age. She seemed to like the banana, cerelac and ragi porridge. Trouble started when she turned 10 months old. totally rejected most of the food, drank no milk other than mom's, by which time I wasnt making much milk. Infact I couldnt wean her completely until she was 18 months old and she wasnt taking any other milk.

1. Lapsi Porridge : Boil and mash half a potato and some carrot pieces. keep aside. Cook 2 tbsp lapsi rava with 1 tsp moong dal in enough water.Add a small piece of ginger for flavour. When the lapsi is cooked, add the mashed vegetables ,mix well. Put in a pinch of salt. Add more water if necessary.  to adjust the consistency. When it is done heat some ghee in a tadka bowl, add mustard seeds and curryleaves. pour the tadka on the porridge. For more flavour I sprinkle this spice mix , which i keep ready. Powder 2 tbsp jeera, 1 tbsp dhania seeds and 3 pepper corns. Dont use it all at once. Use only a small amount. You can sprinkle it on regular khichdi also for enhanced flavour. You can vary the recipe by adding palak or peas too. Make sure it does not get lumpy. My little one didnt give much trouble while feeding this porridge.

2.Date-Oats Porridge : Choose dates which are not stored in sugar syrup and look whole, like kimia dates. De-seed and soak 2 dates in 3 tbsp warm water for 10 minutes. the skin comes off and you can mash the dates with a fork or spoon. Add 2 tbsp oats, 1/2tbsp sugar, 3/4 cup milk and cook till done. Add more milk to adjust consistency.

Some more to share, but my little dictator just woke up from her nap and demands my full attention. Will post as soon as possible.


PS: Keeping junk foods out of kids' reach would atleast give them a healthy start,as we cannot decide their diets when they have grown up.



















No comments:

Post a Comment