A little about me..

Books are my first love, followed by music , movies and travelling. Also like to dabble in cooking and kid's activities. I am here to share what amuses me...

Saturday, January 28, 2012

More Kid friendly recipes

My daughter got her first tooth at 8 months of age. She liked to munch on boiled peas, so I gave them after her rejected meals. Our family doctor advised me to give her a boiled egg every day. She had it with Gerber's Graduates Li'l Crunchies. I bought these exclusively to feed her the egg. The Graduates Crunchies and Puffs were handy for travel munching, especially during flights. Somehow, they are out of stock now. Fortunately my kid has grown up and accepts a whole variety of foods. That 9months - 20 months phase is when most moms face trouble from picky eaters. It usually subsides when the tots reach their second birthdays. As I promised here are some of the recipes that clicked for us. I wish I have photos of these. I was too busy taking care of baby, I didnt bother to take pics. Anyway, hope these help.


3.Ragi porridge : 1 tbsp ragi/nachni atta, a pinch of cardamom powder, 1 cup milk is all you need to make this comforting recipe.
I initially used to make it with part water, part milk and then switched to milk only. This porridge is palpable when it has a thick soup like consistency and pours off a spoon. Avoid lumps. Put a tsp of ghee while serving.



4. Mini Veg cutlets: In a bowl, mix 1 big boiled mashed potato, 1 medium grated carrot, a handful of boiled, coarsely mashed sweet corn, a handful of fresh diced spinach leaves, 1/2 tsp garam masala, salt to taste, 1 or 2 tbsp quick cooking oats(1 crumbled bread slice, instead of oats). Make small balls. Flatten each on the palm of your hand. These are ideal for non-stick pan frying. You'll notice that you need very little oil to fry them. I'm pretty sure any kid would like these mini cutlets.


5. Palak-potato chapathi: The name itself suggests the recipe. Boil 1 big bunch of palak (leaves and stems all) along with 1 small diced potato, with as little water as possible. Puree it in a blender with 1 tsp jeera, 1 tsp dhania powder, 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste. Transfer the puree into a big bowl. Now mix whole wheat flour with the puree to make chapati dough. Dont add any water. Roll out the dough and make chapathis. This is a simple recipe to make your little one eat palak. To make them more attractive, cut out shapes from the rolled dough--stars, crescents, triangles,squares etc.Just giving you an idea.


PS: I tried making Granola bars yesterday and ended up with muesli. Yes, the caramel failed me..Anyone suggest tips for making caramel just right?


No comments:

Post a Comment